License Renewals - Licensed Dentists
Renew Your License On Line
Dental licenses expire on the last day of the birth month of the licensee every two years, per Business and Professions Code, Section 1715. If the licensee's birth year is an even number, his or her license will expire during even-numbered years. If the licensee's birth year is an odd number, his or her license will expire during odd-numbered years. There is no grace period for a dentist in active practice, although a delinquency fee will not be assessed until the renewal is more than 30 days late. A dentist who practices after the expiration date without renewing is considered to be practicing without a license.
Renewal notices are mailed approximately 60 days before expiration. If a renewal notice is not received, see instructions below for online renewal or duplicate renewal form. A dentist is responsible for renewing the license regardless of having received the renewal notice or not.
Licensed dentists, registered dental assistants, and registered dental assistants in extended functions are required to complete healthcare survey
- Recent legislation (AB 269) was signed into California law that requires the Dental Board of California (Board) to collect data from all licensees with the purpose of identifying areas in California that are underserved with professionals with cultural or linguistic competencies in the dental health care field. Effective January 1, 2009, all initial licensure applicants and license renewal applicants will be required to report the following information to the Board pursuant to Business and Professions Code Section 1715.5 as follows:
- Completion of any advanced educational programs accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation in a dental specialty recognized by the American Dental Association [Business & Professions Code § 1715.5(a)]
- Practice or employment status [Business & Professions Code § 1715.5(b)]
- Reporting information regarding cultural background and foreign language proficiency is optional.
- All survey information will be collected and aggregated annually to be reported on the Board web site. The survey is on the reverse side of licensee's renewal forms. It is also online, as part of the online license renewal process.
- For further assistance, please call (916) 263-2300, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approximate processing times
Renewal Method: Mail
- Update of license status: 6-8 weeks
- Arrival of pocket license: 6-8 additional weeks
Renewal Method: On line
- Update of license status: 48 hours
- Arrival of pocket license: 2-3 weeks
- DDS $650.00 active or inactive
- Delinquent fee $325.00 (30 days after expiration)
- Retired DDS $325.00 active or inactive
- Delinquent fee $162.50 (30 days after expiration)
Please note: Senate Bill 809 (DeSaulnier, Chapter 400, Statutes of 2013) requires healthcare professional who are authorized to prescribe or fill prescriptions for controlled substances to pay $6.00 annually to support the Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES) and Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP). This fee is collected at the time of a licensee’s renewal. Effective April 1, 2014, all dentists will see an additional $12.00 added to their renewal fee ($6.00 per year). This $12.00 will be transferred to the State of California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General to fund the CURES/PDMP. Renewal notices sent out with an expiration date of April 30, 2014 and later will have to pay this fee, no matter when the renewal fee is submitted. Failure to pay these additional fees will result in the renewal not being issued.
The minimum requirement for each renewal period is 50 hours of continuing education, including 2 hours of Infection Control, 2 hours of California Dental Law, and Basic Life Support. Dental licensees renewing for the first time are exempt from this requirement, see California Code of Regulations Section 1017. You may verify a Continuing Education Provider by visiting our License Verification web page.
Click here for Duplicate renewal notice.