Subject Matter Experts and/or Site Evaluators
The Dental Board of California (Board) is currently looking for Educators to join our team of consultants as Subject Matter Experts and/or Site Evaluators. This is an assignment that keeps you in the forefront of new trends and legislation regarding the profession.
You will have the opportunity to assist the Board with its mandate to protect the public by reviewing and making recommendations regarding dental assisting educational programs and courses applying for Board approval or going through the re-evaluation process.
Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators evaluate educational curriculum submitted by applicants, for one or more of the following programs and/or courses: RDA Program, RDAEF Program, Radiation Safety Course, Coronal Polishing Course, Pit and Fissure Sealant Course, Ultrasonic Scaling Course, Dental Sedation Assistant Course, and Orthodontic Assistant Course.
Site Evaluators are called upon to review the curriculum and relevant materials and participate in site visits to verify compliance. Evaluators are expected to have experience with methodology and knowledge of creative curriculum to understand and interpret educational programs, as well as knowledge related to the Board’s regulations.
The Board is seeking Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators with the following qualifications:
- Teach or have taught full-time at a Board approved school in California for at least five years.
- Possesses current licensure by the Board as a Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) or Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions (RDAEF) for a minimum of five years.
- Have no record of prior discipline or criminal convictions.
- Have an equivalent of three (3) years full-time clinical practice as an RDA or RDAEF.
- Possesses an AA, BA or higher, teaching credential in vocational education, or equivalent work experience.
- Have completed comprehensive methodology training.
- Be knowledgeable in and have developed the following components of curriculum:
- Course outline
- RDA program hour configuration for lecture, laboratory, pre-clinical and clinical instruction
- General program objectives
- Lesson plan development
- Criteria for evaluation of laboratory and clinical competency
- Specific performance objectives and the evaluation criteria used for measuring levels of competence for each component of a given procedure, including those used for examinations.
- Standards of performance that state the minimum number of satisfactory performances which are required for each performance-evaluated procedure.
- Guidelines for homework assignments
- Written test construction that includes objective examination and item analysis
- Performance and evaluation of faculty practicum including lecture, laboratory, pre-clinical and clinical format
- Distance learning and correspondence course instructional materials
- Classroom management skills that include: time management, diversity issues, remedial assistance, and dealing with student management problems
The Board will compensate Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators for evaluating curriculum and site visits, and reimburse costs as appropriate.
If you are interested, please complete the Application for Subject Matter Expert and/or Site Evaluator, include your most current curriculum vitae/resume. You may provide the documents by email to DA.Program@dca.ca.gov.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and those who qualify will be contacted for further consideration.
Wanted: Dental Experts to Review Investigation Cases
The Enforcement Unit of the Dental Board of California (Board) is seeking qualified knowledgeable licensees to serve as Subject Matter Experts. Subject Matter Experts are practicing dentists who review investigation cases in an effort to evaluate and/or determine whether violations of the Dental Practice Act have occurred.
In reviewing investigation cases, Subject Matter Experts determine if the standards of the dental profession are being met and/or whether (or not) the Board's laws, rules, and regulations are followed. The majority of the Board's cases involve quality of care issues. After completing a case review, Subject Matter Experts are required to provide a written report of their opinion. California Civil Code section 43.8 provides immunity from civil liability for experts; however, Subject Matter Experts may be required to testify regarding their opinions in the event the case goes to court or comes before an Administrative Law Judge at a Hearing.
The Subject Matter Expert position is not a permanent position and experts are utilized on an as needed basis.
Experts must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to be considered as an expert:
- Subject Matter Experts must be actively practicing within the field (defined as a minimum of sixteen (16) hours per week or sixty-four (64) hours per calendar month in direct patient care, clinical activity, or teaching, at least 40 hours of which is in direct patient care).
- Specialists in a particular area must possess Board certification or have completed an advanced education program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association in the specialty field of orthodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, or pediatric dentistry.
- No malpractice settlements, judgment or arbitration award over $10,000.
- No criminal convictions, including any that were expunged or dismissed.
- No prior or current discipline against any health related license in California or any other state. Disciplinary action includes, but is not limited to, suspension, revocation, probation, confidential discipline, consent order, letter of reprimand or warning, or any other restriction or action taken against a dental license.
In addition to the above, in order to be considered as a Subject Matter Expert you must be willing to:
- Testify at administrative hearings and consult with the Attorney General’s Office or investigative staff whenever necessary.
- Complete a contract in order to receive payment for your services.
- Agree to the Board’s hourly compensation rate.
- Complete the entire Subject Matter Application and submit any additional documentation requested.
- Complete the Subject Matter Expert training given periodically by the Board.
- Please complete the linked application and include the requested document. Completed applications should be sent to:
Dental Board of California
2005 Evergreen St., Suite 1450
Sacramento, CA 95815
Please direct any questions to Heidi Mason at Heidi.firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment Opportunities - Expert Examiner
The Dental Board administers all of the Registered Dental Assistant and Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions licensure examinations. Each examination uses actual practitioners to conduct the actual grading of the examination.
RDA Examination - The RDA practical examination is normally given every other month in both the North and the South. Applicants for examiner positions are normally interviewed by a two-person panel, and may then be invited to attend an orientation/training session.
If the person's performance is acceptable, they may be asked to actually attend an examination to begin training. If the person is found to fully understand the grading criteria and be willing and able to use those standards to consistently grade the exam, they may be allowed to actually begin independently grading.
Training is continuous, and interested persons can expect to be asked to grade at each examination given every other month in their area. The exam is normally two days long on a weekend. Examiners are paid a $135 per day salary, and are paid per diem and travel expenses within certain State guidelines.
Interested persons must be current practitioners with five or more years of experience, and must complete and submit an RDA Practical Examiner Application in order to be considered.
Recruitment Notice - RDA Workshops
The Dental Board of California (Board) invites you to participate in an examination workshop. Under the facilitation of an OPES testing specialist, licensees will participate in reviewing test items and reclassifying test items to the new examination outline.
There are two upcoming workshops that will be conducted, for two days on Friday and Saturday. You must be able to attend both days. The first one will be held on April 20-21, 2018 and the second one will be held on June 8-9, 2018. There is a maximum of 10 licensees per workshop, so please confirm your interest in participating as soon as possible to guarantee a spot. Any newly licensed (within the last five years) RDA’s that are interested in participating are strongly encouraged to apply. The workshop will begin at 8:30 a.m. and conclude at 4:30 p.m. and will be held at the Department of Consumer Affairs’ Office of Professional Examination Services (OPES).
The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) has been authorized to enter into a contract with an expert consultant using an abbreviated contract process. Therefore, please be advised that upon your arrival at OPES you will be required to sign a consultant contract in order to participate in the workshop process.
According to the provisions of the OPES’s Examination Security procedures, you will be required to show valid identification and allow for personal belongings and electronic devices, including cell phones, to be secured in the reception area while you participate in the workshop.
The Board appreciates your professional contribution and commitment to developing a successful licensure examination program.
To qualify to serve as a Subject Matter Expert, a licensee must:
1. Possess a license with an active status;
2. Be in good standing with no current or pending accusations;
3. Agree to not participate at any time, either now or in the future, in any examination coaching or preparation activities (SMEs must not be teaching or working at one of the RDA prep schools); and
4. Enter into an Expert Consultant Contract with the Dental Board of California.
If you are interested in attending, please email Tina Vallery at email@example.com. Please include your license number in the e-mail.