Fingerprints can be obtained either with by the Ink on Cards method or by using Live Scan. A dental license will not be issued until clearance has been received from the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Ink on Cards Method
If you are not able to be fingerprinted in California, you may go to a law enforcement agency to have fingerprints made. Two (2) cards, provided by the Dental Board, are required. Be sure to type or print legibly in black ink, all the areas on both cards asking for personal information. Ensure that it is dated and signed by the official taking the fingerprints and includes your signature. Include the two (2) cards in your application with a $49 non-refundable processing fee. Reports on some cards are received within a month after submission. Others may take many months depending on other factors beyond the control of the Dental Board.
- To receive a set of fingerprint cards, contact the Dental Board by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (916) 263-2300.
Live Scan Method
Live Scan is available only in California, for either residents or visitors, and is more efficient than the Ink on Cards method. To use the Live Scan method, download the Live Scan form, complete it and take it to a Live Scan service location. The Live Scan service location will require you to pay a fee. Your fingerprints will be taken electronically, without ink, and transmitted to the California DOJ. Finally, the DOJ will send their report to the Dental Board. Usually the report is received within seven days. There is a low rate of rejections with this method. If you use Live Scan, you are not required to submit $49.00 fee to the Dental Board.
- Live Scan Form for Dental applicants
- Live Scan Form for Licensure by Credential applicants
- Live Scan Form for Licensure by Residency applicants
- Live Scan Form for WREB applicants
- Live Scan Form for Registered Dental Assistant applicants
- Live Scan Form for Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions applicants
- Live Scan Service Locations by county