Oral Conscious Sedation for Adults Permits - Licensed Dentists
Business and Professions Code, Section 1647.18, defines Oral Conscious Sedation as, "a minimally depressed level of consciousness produced by oral medication that retains the patient's ability to maintain independently and continuously an airway, and respond appropriately to physical stimulation or verbal command. "Oral conscious sedation" does not include dosages less than or equal to the single maximum recommended dose that can be prescribed for home use."
Business and Professions Code Sections 1647.18 to 1647.26 and 1680(z), as well as Title 16, California Code of Regulations, Section 1044.2, provide specific information regarding Oral Conscious for Adult Patients Permits.
Applying for an Oral Conscious Sedation for Adult Patients Permit
The primary requirements for a certificate to administer oral conscious sedation for an adult patient include, but may not be limited to:
- A completed application form (OCS-3).
- A current, active license to practice dentistry in this state, or a current permit issued pursuant to Business and Professions Code, Section 1638 or 1640.
- Provide documentation of one of the following if you do not hold a general anesthesia permit, a conscious sedation permit, and have not been certified by the board to administer oral conscious sedation to minor patients:
- Satisfactory completion of a postgraduate program in oral and maxillofacial surgery approved by either the Commission on Dental Accreditation or a comparable organization approved by the board.
- Satisfactory completion of a periodontics or general practice residency or other advanced education in a general dentistry program approved by the board.
- Satisfactory completion of a board-approved educational program on oral medications and sedation. Attach a copy of the certificate of completion to your application with a completed Certification of Oral Conscious Sedation Training (OCS-2) form.
- If the qualification method is a periodontics, general residency, or other advanced education in a general dentistry program, the applicant must also have his or her educational institution complete the Certification of Oral Conscious Sedation Training (OCS-2) form.
- For an applicant who has been using oral conscious sedation in connection with the treatment of adult patients, submission of documentation as required by the board of 10 cases of oral conscious sedation satisfactorily performed by the applicant on adult patients in any three-year period ending no later than December 31, 2005.
- Non-refundable application fee: $368.00
Renewing Your Permit
Oral Conscious Sedation Certificates for Adult Patients expire when the qualifying license expires and must be renewed every two years. The fee for renewal is $168.00. The Continuing Education requirement for renewal is seven units of approved courses related to oral conscious sedation of adult patients.
For more information, call (916) 263-2300 or send an email to email@example.com.