Temporary License for Military Spouse or Domestic Partner Residing in California

Effective July 1, 2023, temporary licenses and permits may be granted to spouses or domestic partners of active duty military service members residing in California. Applications for temporary licenses may be submitted online at www.BreEZe.ca.gov or by mail directly to the Dental Board of California (Board).

Temporary license holders will be permitted to work in California in the same capacity as their out of state license for up to 12 months or until a standard license is issued. The Board has jurisdiction over all who practice as dentists and dental assistants in the State of California, and everyone who is licensed by the Board must comply with the Dental Practice Act.

To apply for a temporary license or permit, you must:

  1. Submit a completed Courtesy Application for Temporary Licensure for Military Spouses/Domestic Partners to Practice Pursuant to Business and Professions Code (BPC) Section 115.6.
  2. Provide documentation that you are the spouse or domestic partner of, or in another legal union with, an active-duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is assigned to a duty station in California.

    Acceptable documentation includes:

    • Copy of a certificate of marriage.
    • Certified declaration/registration of domestic partnership filed with the California Secretary of State.
    • Other documentary evidence of a legal union with an active-duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States.
    • Copy of the military orders establishing your spouse or partner’s duty station in California.
  3. Provide documentation (evidence) that you hold a current, active, and unrestricted license issued in another state, district, or territory of the United States, which has the same scope as the license or permit you are seeking in California. For further details, see BPC section 115.6(c).
  4. Submit to fingerprinting and a background check via the Live Scan or hard card method and receive clearance by the Board.

Failure to provide required documents may delay processing of the application for temporary licensure.

Applicants seeking temporary licensure as a dentist also must pass the written California Dental Law and Ethics Examination. The board does not require an examination for temporary licensure as a dental assistant.

Mailing address:
Dental Board of California 
2005 Evergreen St., Ste. 1550
Sacramento, CA 95815

Temporary Licensure: Statutory Authority and Duration

Effective July 1, 2023, the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) will implement AB 107 (Salas, Chapter 693, Statutes of 2021), which requires the Board to grant temporary licensure to military spouses or domestic partners who meet the requirements for temporary licensure in BPC sections 115.6–115.9.

The temporary license will expire 12 months after issuance. The temporary license will also expire upon issuance or denial of a standard license, upon issuance or denial of a license by endorsement, or upon issuance or denial of an expedited license pursuant to BPC section 115.5, whichever occurs first.

Available Licenses

  • Licensed Dentist
  • Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
  • Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions (RDAEF)
  • Orthodontic Assistant Permit
  • Dental Sedation Assistant Permit

Available Permits to Dentist Applicants

  • Elective Facial Cosmetic Surgery
  • General Anesthesia (Adult/Pediatric)
  • Medical General Anesthesia* (Adult/Pediatric)
  • Moderate Sedation (Adult/Pediatric)
  • Adult Oral Conscious Sedation
  • Pediatric Minimal Sedation
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery*

(*Requires a Physician and Surgeon License)

Additional Information and Links