Prescription Drug Abuse
Dental Board's Prescription Drug Abuse Mission Statement
"The Dental Board of California (Board) recognizes that the widespread use and abuse of opioids in the country has risen to an epidemic level. The Board believes that educating both licensees and consumers on this important issue coincides with our mission of public protection. The Board therefore encourages its licensees to learn more, about this epidemic and its tragic effects on individuals and their families; and to understand best prescribing practices and patient education methods that can be used when prescribing opioids. The following links to educational resources are provided to assist both consumers and licensees in this effort."
The Dental Board of California is a member of the Statewide Opioid Safety (SOS) Workgroup.
Links to Prescription opioid web sites:
- 1. CDC Report
- 2. California Pharmacy Board- Excellent educational material for use with adolescents and families
- 3. Medical board of California Prescribing Guidelines
- 4. FDA Prescribing information for patients
- 5. American Dental Association – Statement on the use of Opioids in the Treatment of Dental Pain – The ADA provides extensive resources for the dentist tin this area, including webinars, printed material, references and links to important websites
- 6. California Dental Association website for prescription opioids
- 7. Substance abuse counseling center loactions – From US Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- 8. Statewide Opioid Safety (SOS) Workgroup Resources