Oral Conscious Sedation for Minor Patients Permits - Licensed Dentists
Business and Professions Code, Section 1647.10, defines Oral Conscious Sedation for Minor Patients as, "...a minimally depressed level of consciousness produced by oral medication that retains the patient's ability to maintain independently and continuously an airway, and respond appropriately to physical stimulation or verbal command." This permit applies to dental patients under the age of 13 years.
Business and Professions Code Sections 1647.10 to 1647.17 and 1680(z), as well as Title 16, California Code of Regulations, Section 1044, provide specific information regarding Oral Conscious for Minor Patients Permits.
Applying for an Oral Conscious Sedation for Minor Patients Permit
The primary requirements for a certificate to administer oral conscious sedation for a minor patient include, but may not be limited to:
- A completed application form with fee, ensuring that any office setting where oral conscious sedation is administered to minor patients complies with the requirements set in regulations adopted by the Board (Title 16, California Code of Regulations, Section 1044.5).
- A completed application form
- A current, active license to practice dentistry in this state, or a current permit issued pursuant to Business and Professions Code, Section 1638 or 1640.
- Provide documentation of one of the following:
- Successful completion of a postgraduate program in oral and maxillofacial surgery or pediatric dentistry approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation or a comparable organization approved by the Board.
- Successful completion of a periodontics or general practice residency or other advanced education in a general dentistry program approved by the Board.
- Successful completion of a Board-approved educational program on oral medications and sedation. Applicant must provide a copy of their certificate or diploma.
- If qualification method is a general residency or other advanced education in a general dentistry program, you must also have your educational institution complete the Certification of Oral Conscious Sedation for Minors Training (OCSM-2) form.
- Non-refundable application fee: $368.00
The Board has approved courses in minor patient oral conscious sedation offered by the following providers:
- Dental Career Institute (562-704-2651) www.dentalcareerinstitute.com
- Dental Specialties Institute, Inc. (562-704-2651) www.dental-specialties.com
- CME Associates, Orange (714-998-2208)
- DOCS Education (866-592-9618) DOCS Education
- LLU, Dept. of Continuing Dental Education (909-558-4685)
- Rocky Mountain Sedation (406-698-8538) http://rockymountainsedation.com/
- UCLA, Dept. of Continuing Dental Education (310-206-8388)
- UCSF, Continuing Dental Education (415-476-1101)
- USC, Continuing Oral Health Professional Education (213-821-2127) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Renewing Your Permit
Oral Conscious Sedation Certificates for Minor Patients expire when the qualifying license expires and must be renewed every two years. The fee for renewal is $168.00. The Continuing Education requirement for renewal is seven units of approved courses related to oral conscious sedation of minors.
For more information, call (916) 263-2300 or email email@example.com.