Licensure by Portfolio Examination
Effective November 5, 2014 individuals may qualify for dental licensure on the basis of passing the Portfolio Examination while enrolled in a dental school program at a California Dental Board approved dental school and meeting the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit a completed application to the Dental Board of California.
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $400.00.
- Provide satisfactory evidence of having graduated from a Board approved dental school in good academic standing with no pending ethical issues.
- Provide satisfactory evidence of having passed Parts I and II of the National Board Written Examinations. Original score card is required; photocopies are not acceptable.
- Submit a completed Portfolio to the Board within 90 days of graduation.
- Submit a completed Out of State/Country Licensure Certification Form (only for those who are licensed in another state or country).
- Successfully complete the Law and Ethics examination.
- Completion of fingerprinting requirements pursuant to Section 1629(b) of the Business and Professions Code.
Additional requirements for issuance of a California dental license are:
- Completion of the Application for Issuance of License and Registration of Place of Practice (will be mailed to the applicant upon completion of all other licensure requirements) and,
- Submission of applicable pro-rated licensing fee.
Forms and Publications
For more information, call (916)-263-2300 or email DentalBoard@dca.ca.gov.