Welcome to the Dental Board of California

Registered Dental Assistants and Registered Dental Assistants in Extended Functions

Continuing Education

    The provider giving the courses must be registered with the Dental Board for the courses to be approved. Each individual course is not approved by the Board. If you have questions about whether the provider has a current registration with the Board, call (916) 263-2300, or search using the Approved Provider Lookup.

    • Continuing Education (CE) Requirements:

      Dental Assisting licensees renewing for the first time are exempt from CE requirements. The minimum requirement for each renewal period after the first renewal is 25 hours of continuing education, including:

      • Basic Life Support (maximum credit allowed is 4 CE units)
        • Shall be met by completion of a American Heart Association or American Red Cross Course in Basic Life Support, or a BLS course taught by a provider approved by the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program or the Academy of General Dentistry’s Program Approval for Continuing Education.
        • Online CPR course will not be accepted for Basic Life Support requirement.
      • 2 hours of California Infection Control
      • 2 hours of California Dental Practice Act

      Note: Infection Control and California Dental Practice Act may be taken online by an approved provider.  No more than 12.5 CE hours can be completed through home study or other non-live instruction.  Interactive courses such as live videoconferencing, live lecture and live workshop demonstrations may be used for all of the required units except for Basic Life Support course.

    Please be advised that the Dental Board of California does not maintain or track individual licensee’s CE units.  In accordance with Title 16 California Code of Regulations Sections 1016 and 1017, you are required to maintain CE records for a period of three (3) renewal periods (6 years).   

    The Dental Board of California conducts random CE audits.  If you are audited, you will be required to provide photocopies of your CE certificates.  Do not send original CE certificates unless specifically requested by the Board.

    If you want to complete an out-of-state CE course as part of your 25 hours, you must submit an application for approval via mail to the Dental Board Dental Board of California, Attn: Dental Assisting Program at 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1550, Sacramento, CA 95815.