- Approved DA Courses
- Dental Workforce Survey
- Online License Renewal (DDS)
- Dental Hygiene Committee
- E-mail Mailing List
- License Renewal Information (RDA)
- Licensure by Residency
- Board Calendar
- Diversion Program
- License Verification
- Laws and Regulations
- Address Change Form (DDS)
- Name Change Form (DDS)
- Board Newsletters
- Complaint Form
- Education Providers
- Military Information
Employment Opportunities - Suject Matter Expert and/or Site Evaluator
The Dental Board of California is currently looking for RDA Educators to join our team of consultants as Subject Matter Experts and/or Site Evaluators. This is a very rewarding assignment that keeps you in the forefront of new trends and legislation regarding the profession. You will have the opportunity to assist the Board with its mandate to protect the public by reviewing and making recommendations regarding dental assisting educational programs and courses trying to obtain Dental Board of California approval.
Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators evaluate educational curriculum submitted by applicants who wish to become approved for one or more of the following: RDA Program, RDAEF Educational Program, Radiation Safety Course, Coronal Polishing Course, Pit and Fissure Sealant Course, Ultrasonic Scaling Course, Dental Sedation Assistant Course, and Orthodontic Assistant Course.
Site Evaluators are called upon to review curriculum of RDA Programs, and participate in site visits to verify compliance with all requirements. Evaluators are expected to have experience with methodology and knowledge of creative curriculum to understand and interpret educational programs, as well as knowledge related to Dental Board regulations.
The Board is seeking Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators with the following qualifications:
- Teach or has taught full-time in a Dental Board approved school in California for at least five years.
- Possesses current licensure by the Board as a Registered Dental Assistant for a minimum of five years.
- Has no record of prior discipline or criminal convictions.
- Has an equivalent of three (3) years full-time clinical practice as an RDA.
- Possesses an associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or higher, teaching credential in vocational education; or equivalent work experience.
- Has completed comprehensive methodology training.
- Is knowledgeable and has developed the following components of an RDA curriculum:
- Course outline
- RDA program hour configuration for lecture, laboratory, pre-clinical and clinical instruction
- General program objectives
- Lesson plan development
- Criteria for evaluation of laboratory and clinical competency
- Specific performance objectives and the evaluation criteria used for measuring levels of competence for each component of a given procedure, including those used for examinations.
- Standards of performance that state the minimum number of satisfactory performances which are required for each performance-evaluated procedure.
- Guidelines for homework assignments
- Written test construction that includes objective examination and item analysis
- Performance and evaluation of faculty practicum including lecture, laboratory, pre-clinical and clinical format
- Distance learning and correspondence course instructional materials
- Classroom management skills that include: time management, diversity issues, remedial assistance and dealing with student management problems
The Dental Board will reimburse Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators for travel costs, meals and accommodations in accordance with state law policy and procedures. Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators are paid $150 per 8 hour day for evaluating curriculum and site visits.
If you are interested, please complete the Application for Subject Matter Expert and/or Site Evaluator, and send it along with your most current curriculum vitae/resume to the following address:
Dental Board of California
Attention: Sharon Langness
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1550
Sacramento, CA 95815
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and those who qualify will be contacted for further consideration.