- Approved DA Courses
- Dental Workforce Survey
- Online License Renewal (DDS)
- Dental Hygiene Committee
- E-mail Mailing List
- License Renewal Information (RDA)
- Licensure by Residency
- Board Calendar
- Diversion Program
- License Verification
- Laws and Regulations
- Address Change Form (DDS)
- Name Change Form (DDS)
- Board Newsletters
- Complaint Form
- Education Providers
- Military Information
Wanted: Dental Experts to Review Investigation Cases
The Enforcement Unit of the Dental Board of California (Board) is seeking qualified knowledgeable licensees to serve as Subject Matter Experts. Subject Matter Experts are practicing dentists who review investigation cases in an effort to evaluate and/or determine whether violations of the Dental Practice Act have occurred.
In reviewing investigation cases, Subject Matter Experts determine if the standards of the dental profession are being met and/or whether (or not) the Board's laws, rules, and regulations are followed. The majority of the Board's cases involve quality of care issues. After completing a case review, Subject Matter Experts are required to provide a written report of their opinion. California Civil Code section 43.8 provides immunity from civil liability for experts; however, Subject Matter Experts may be required to testify regarding their opinions in the event the case goes to court or comes before an Administrative Law Judge at a Hearing.
The Subject Matter Expert position is not a permanent position and experts are utilized on an as needed basis.
Experts must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to be considered as an expert:
- Subject Matter Experts must be actively practicing within the field (defined as a minimum of sixteen (16) hours per week or sixty-four (64) hours per calendar month in direct patient care, clinical activity, or teaching, at least 40 hours of which is in direct patient care).
- Specialists in a particular area must possess Board certification or have completed an advanced education program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association in the specialty field of orthodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, or pediatric dentistry.
- No malpractice settlements, judgment or arbitration award over $10,000.
- No criminal convictions, including any that were expunged or dismissed.
- No prior or current discipline against any health related license in California or any other state. Disciplinary action includes, but is not limited to, suspension, revocation, probation, confidential discipline, consent order, letter of reprimand or warning, or any other restriction or action taken against a dental license.
In addition to the above, in order to be considered as a Subject Matter Expert you must be willing to:
- Testify at administrative hearings and consult with the Attorney General’s Office or investigative staff whenever necessary.
- Complete a contract in order to receive payment for your services.
- Agree to the Board’s hourly compensation rate.
- Complete the entire Subject Matter Application and submit any additional documentation requested.
- Complete the Subject Matter Expert training given periodically by the Board.
- Please complete the linked application and include the requested document. Completed applications should be sent to:
Dental Board of California
Attn: Bernal Vaba
2005 Evergreen St., Suite 1450
Sacramento, CA 95815
Please direct any questions to Bernal Vaba at Bernal.Vaba@dca.ca.gov